OK… so last weekend would have been a fairly decent boat weekend on Torch Lake. But a good friend of mine had tickets to see Country Music star Brantley Gilbert open for Kid Rock in his Redneck Extravaganza tour in Tinley Park, IL, at the Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre. Being a born and raised Michigan girl, I’ve never been to a Kid Rock performance, so I guess it was just kind of naturally on my bucket list, along with Bob Seger, and a few other big names…
So, we took the 5 hour drive from Traverse City, MI to Tinley Park, IL. Not a terrible trip, until you get closer to Chicago at rush hour on a Friday evening. But overall, it was a good day for a nice road trip.
Aside from the big concert, we did all the fun girl things. Manicures, Lunch, shopping… Oh yeah… SHOPPING… Not Amazon.com style. We went old school! The malls in our town are filled with empty store fronts. But the Orland Park Square Mall was complete with Macy’s, Food Courts, Jewelry Stores, and so many other face to face shopping experiences! KaChing… Jackpot! We left with great finds… shoes, jeans, comfy clothes, work jackets, boots… the works! Ohhhh… Amazon just has nothing on old school shopping, face to face with a real storefront where you can try before you buy!
Oh yes… back to the concert experience! Kid Rock did not disappoint… he put on a dynamic energetic show with all of his best, including “Summertime in Northern Michigan”. I think he would be proud if he knew all of us Michigan girls gave up that weekend on the sand bar for him. Brantley Gilbert also put on a fantastic show! He has three new fans on his list (One of us was a huge fan already.) … especially after dedicating a song to veterans and cancer survivors!
The Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre is a good spot for a concert. Bring lots of money if you go to a concert here, because drinks are $20.00 a piece, and plan out your transportation in advance, if you don’t plan on driving, because Lyft and Uber don’t pick up right at the venue. You have to walk a mile after the concert to get your ride.
Transportation aside, none of us were too stressed about it… why? Because we were having the best time, we were all together in a smaller suburb of Chicago, and our hotel was only 4 miles from the venue.
One favorite parting quote of the weekend from a passing van full of concert goers as we were waiting for our ride back to the hotel… “Hey ladies, wanna ride with us? We have puppies and candy!”
Hmmmmm… puppies… candy… tempting… but, not this time. We made it back to our hotel safe and sound, and all in our same group. Sunday morning we hit the road back and laughed the whole way home!
Cheers to more girls weekends to come! My next stop… Royal Caribbean’s Majesty of the Sea’s cruise to Havana, Cuba and Nassau, Bahama’s in November! In the meantime, it sure feels good to be home!
Make sure to visit the gravesite of Mark Twain at Woodlawn Cemetery! Not sure why it was on my bucket list, other than the fact that he was a wonderful story teller and humorist. I swear I thought I saw Tom Sawyer hiding behind the monument. Of course, I had to leave a penny on his gravesite, for good luck! Members of his family are buried along side of him on the same site.
Marie Antionette Lookout, Wyalusing, PA
What an amazing view!
- You aren’t 25 anymore. Partying every night just makes you super tired for days on end.
- You really do get to mow the lawn any way you wish! Straight lines, circles, figure 8’s… anything goes. The world will not end.
- Your doctor will want to see you at least once a year… just to make sure you are still alive!
- Walking is now more fun than running. Running causes pain… walking is still a great form of exercise.
- Visiting the beauty salon now takes more time, because of those pesky gray hairs you have to cover up to stay looking young!
- Cold weather brings thoughts of tropical vacations. Snow is no longer a fun thing! Sure it’s pretty, but oh so cold!
- The old pictures where you thought you looked fat, now suddenly show how amazing you looked in your younger days!
- A fun weekend may consist of cleaning out your closets and simplifying your belongings.
- Your close friends become closer, and more important in your life!
- Life in general becomes more enjoyable!