Summertime in Northern Michigan… yes, it’s that time of year, and there really is no better place to be than splashing through the beautiful waters of the Torch Lake Sand Bar on a hot summer day. BUT, if you’ve never been there, there are a few tips you need to know before heading out.
- When anchoring on the sand bar, use at least two anchors to secure your boat. Front and Back Anchors can keep your boat from swinging into other boats around you on a windy day.
- Lotion up before getting into the water. This helps keep “Swimmers Itch” from affecting your skin. Also dry off quickly when you get out. This is another good preventative for the parasites carried by duck feces in the water.
- The sand bar is a public place. You can get arrested for public drunkenness, drugs, indecency, etc… Be respectful of families around you. There are Antrim and Kalkaska County Sheriff boats out there, along with Michigan State Police, Michigan DNR Boats, and even Coast Guard helicopters monitoring the crowds every day in the busy summer. They are there to ensure safety at all times.
- Mark your anchors with floatables. This will save a few toes from stubbage. Walkabouts are a must when on the sand bar to socialize and meet new people. An unmarked anchor can lead to a painful toe if you happen to stub your foot, or step on an anchor that isn’t marked.
- Take care of your garbage. If you brought it with you, take it back with you! Torch Lake is one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. It needs to stay that way!
- The locals love to grill! If you get offered some of their grillings, by all means, try it! It’s great stuff!
- Bring money for the Burger Barge. Dave does a great job with his burger flippers, and has the best souvenir’s on the water! https://www.facebook.com/The-Burger-Barge-280618472591/
- If you park in an open spot, don’t be surprised if someone maneuvers up and anchors next to you. It’s a big place, but the shallow spots are in demand. Many times, regular’s will even jump in to help you get where you want to be and help you anchor.
- Locals hang out on the East Side. It’s more protected from extra wakes caused by boats cruising past the sandbar on the West Side. The younger crowd hangs out in the center, where all the action happens. Take your pick of places, depending on your mood!
- Relax, enjoy, float, and socialize! It’s one of Michigan’s premiere spots to cool off. The clear clean (and sometimes cold, depending on the wind direction) is worth the trip!
- Fabiano’s delivers pizza to the sandbar!!! Just give “Pizza Boy” a shout along with a description of your boat with MC #’s, and approximate location. Check them out at www.fabianosontorch.com. They also have a limited number of short term boat slips and pontoon boat rentals available.
- Torch River Marine is a seasonal boat slip marina. Plan on putting yourself on the wait list for a slip here for the summer. It’s a first class operation with both in water boat slips and on demand rack storage. Boat rentals are available as well. www.torchrivermarine.com
- This year’s fireworks are scheduled at Dusk on Tuesday, July 3rd, 2018. Check them out… They are spectacular!
This is where I grew up most every summer of my life… It’s a place I don’t take for granted. What can I say, it’s made me a “lake snob”! See you out there soon!